Day 35: One Thing


Read:
Matthew 6:33

 Matthew 6 | NIV Bible | YouVersion


In her devotional, “Desert Journey”, Ingrid Blixt says, “The spiritual desert will push you until you realize, ‘But God first.  God’s kingdom first.’ A singular wish, a singular mission.  The truth is, from the garden of our comfort zone, we can only see the tame blooms of self-sufficiency. but when we step into the desert, we sometimes see the wild blooms of the cactus.”

In the desert, my focus is sharpened to that single mission: more of God.  God’s kingdom first.  I want—no, I NEED one thing and one thing only: God.  That unquenched thirst becomes finely tuned to the one thing I really need, which is God and God alone.  When I am moving happily along in pleasant places, there is much to distract me from what I really need.  Distractions abound on every side.  The desert is where I begin to recognize what is really important, and my desperation to get it intensifies.  All the pretty little novelties that call for my attention suddenly lose their charm as I recognize my deep need for the life-giving water that is God, that only He can provide

Are you distracted by many things?  What will it take to renew your focus on that one thing you need above all else?  Ask God to renew your vision and your focus to center on Him.

 

Listen: Lauren Daigle - First (Lyric Video) - YouTube

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

40 Days in the Desert: A Lenten Journey

Day 31: Desert Blossoms