Day 36: No Place To Lay His Head

Read: Matthew 8:20

Matthew 8 | NIV Bible | YouVersion



Think of it!  God in human flesh had no home to go to for rest and refreshment during His earthly ministry!  I can’t imagine it!  When I am tired and weary from giving out in ministry, I look forward to the quiet oasis of my comfortable home, knowing that there I can be refreshed and revived.  But Jesus wandered from town to town with no place to call His own.

If He suffered such things, I should expect some level of suffering for following Him.  There is a cost to following Christ.  Am I prepared to pay the price?  Are you?

Jesus said, “If the world hates you, remember that it hated me first.  The world would love you as one of its own if you belonged to it, but you are no longer part of the world.  I chose you to come out of the world, so it hates you.  Do you remember wheat I told you? ‘A slave is not greater than the master.’ Since they persecuted me, naturally they will persecute you.” (John 15:16-20)

Sounds pretty scary, doesn’t it?  But just a moment later, Jesus promised this: “But now I am going away to the One who sent me,… it is best for you that I go away, because if I don’t the Advocate won’t come.  If I do go away, then I will send him to you.”  (John 16:5-7)  Jesus has gone ahead to heaven, where He sits at the right hand of God, interceding for us.  And, He sent us His Holy Spirit, who lives in us, who never leaves us or forsakes us.

God is constantly looking out for us.  He has made provision for us.  Despite these dire warnings of suffering and persecution, He has given us His Holy Spirit.  When Jesus was here on earth, He could only be in one place at a time.  He was limited by His human body, but we have the Holy Spirit who is able to dwell in each and every believer simultaneously, always present, always available, always ready to help us in our time of need.

So, take courage!  We can face anything that the world throws our way with the power of the Holy Spirit living inside of us.  Let’s thank Him for His amazing provision for us!

 

Listen: Chris Tomlin - Good Good Father (Audio) - YouTube

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

40 Days in the Desert: A Lenten Journey

Day 31: Desert Blossoms